Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Mother's Perspective

Evan's kidney transplant is scheduled for Wednesday, March 21st; 17 days away. We'll be the first and only case that day for the team. My donor surgery is to last 3-4 hours; Evan's to last 6-8. Evan will be closely monitored afterward for two weeks and is expected to stay in the hospital for a month post-transplant.

Evan starts a rigorous schedule of immunosuppressents tomorrow; two weeks and a few days before the date. This is one week more than most transplant recipients and much higher doses than the norm.

He's to be admitted on March 14th, one week before, and will undergo two, possibly three, plasmapheresis treatments among many other intricate preparations. His plan is very detailed and the course of treatment will be determined by many ever evolving variables. What we concretely know is we have the best Surgeons and Doctors aligned and this team has plans A, B, and C through X, Y and Z. As stated in previous posts this transplant isn't straightforward and is extremely high risk; however complex this procedure is, we have been offered hope. He is going to be given this opportunity, and a chance at life.

Without a transplant Evan isn't guaranteed much time here on earth. With one though, Evan is given a life and the prospect for a long one at that. Once successful it's believed this kidney, an almost perfect 5 of 6 antigen match, will last for up to 30 years. That right there, that glimmer of hope, that's surely something to hold on to.

From even before Evan was brought into this world we were given very grave and finite scenarios. Time and time again we've been offered little hope and frightening solutions, but little hope is all we ever needed. From the beginning, his father and I made the decision to stay present, productive, and positive. Some days it's a bit easier to stand by our choice. Other days it's a struggle, but our decision and the work it takes to follow through, is the only thing we have control over. It's hard for me to accept the fact that I cannot fix everything; snap my fingers, and make my son all better. It's not something I can easily turn over, but I do it daily. I must.

You see Evan doesn't realize his life is any different than yours or mine. He's by nature a happy boy and loves his life. He has fought diligently and defied medical laws time and time again to be here. He has no idea of the magnitude of his journey and what lies before him. He shouldn't have to worry about all of that; he's a two year old boy. It's his job to be a toddler and it's mine to ensure he stays the course. I owe it to him to strive to be at my best every moment; worry has no place in the game plan.

Evan and the family have been in lock-down for a few days now and it's heightened even more so starting tomorrow. We've been following Doctors's orders to avoid the public and as his donor I've done everything expected of me. Any tasks the Doctors request of us is met, but there is a something that separates our family from others before us; our decision to remain focused, positive. To carry out that notion creates this idea of limitless possibility. By that I mean this: upon learning of Evan's transplant I chose to fight as hard as I possibly could for him. I did whatever I could think of. I still do. I didn't just think; I took and continue to take action. Here's how:

  1. Communicating our specific needs, leaning on others and asking for positive thoughts and prayer from anyone who willing to help.
  2. Creating wristbands for people to wear asking the recipient to simply think of Evan every time they glanced at it and share his story with others. We've distributed over 500 of them so far.
  3. Going online and placing Evan on prayer lists around the world. Ensuring services will be said in his honor.
  4. Asking others to have mass, a service, worship directly in Evan's name.
  5. Designing tee shirts and asking others to wear them on Evan's transplant day as a symbol of solidarity. The goal being, every single person who sees that shirt on that day will think of Evan. They may not know what the shirt is for, but I believe getting them to purposefully notice it will catapult them into our field of consciousness that day. We've sold 179 to date. Envision how many people you see in an entire day, multiply that by 179! Every family member and friend in hospital transplant day will have a shirt on. Imagine the buzz that alone will create; it's limitless!
  6. Working with alternative medicine via a Qi Gong Master, Psychic, and team of healers.
  7. Creating lists of songs to play to Evan now and when he's in the hospital. Reading the same stories. Making sure there are the familiar patterns developed to establish a calming environment. Taking pictures of things he enjoys so he can have a link to the outside world. Creating a scenario that will feel as normal as possible.
  8. Telling Evan every single day multiple times a day how much we love him. Letting him know how strong he is and how much he has accomplished in his life.
  9. Indulging Evan in his interests and ever expanding his awareness and accessibility to those things. Allowing him to fully enjoy his life.
  10. Meditating, exercising, eating well, enjoying family time, creating the most healthy and peaceful environment we can in this moment: resting, simply existing in this space.
  11. Vacuumming, bleaching, washing, and Lysol-ing every single surface in the house (including walls, ceilings, screens, switches, accessories). Instilling clean practices. Antibacterial soap for hands and dishes, new sponges, masks, gloves, air purifier, taking apart the vacuum and removing all old dust. Buying a lockable box to place all shoes in upon entering the house. Carrying antibacterial wipes and gel. Ensuring not one precaution is missed.
  12. Initiating and creatively working to increase Evan's protein and caloric intake while balancing his fluid intake with his blood pressures.
  13. Communicating every scenario I can think of with his transplant and dialysis teams. Being an active and instrumental part of his team.
  14. Making list after list after list to ensure we are always productive and always moving forward.
  15. Participating in a voluntary transplant program provided by the insurance company. This one fell right in my lap. When working diligently fortune often does align seamlessly in one's path; preparation meets opportunity.
  16. Not worrying about things out of my control such as the surgery; and the money needed to pay for our expenses while he's in the hospital; or anything I miss in my preparations. Trusting every need will be met. Everything we need will be provided and any energy spent on intangibles is energy wasted.
  17. Continuing to give back to others. It's with our deepest gratitude we are all alive in this moment and it's important to always give to the universe what we receive or need; the law of reciprocity is ever evolving.
  18. Taking the time to ensure you have the information you need to be of the best service possible to us. If people want to help I need to ensure we utilize you in the best way we can. It's important to give to you if we are to expect anything in return.
  19. Making sure you understand how much we love and appreciate you and your efforts. Without the masses, what Evan does, what this family does, would not be possible. You're an integral part of the team. Thank you for always being there.
  20. Continuing to take the next indicated action, whatever it may be. As long as we've moving forward, as long as we're doing everything in our power, the answers and support will come. They always do.
It's interesting really; by admitting I have no control, by accepting the things I cannot change, I am given this world of unending possibility. I am inspired! Do you see the distinction? Yes, there are many tangible reasons why Evan's transplant may not be successful; but I assure you there are many, MANY, more intangibles that makes it's success almost certain. I will continue to do everything in my power to increase those odds. I will continue to turn over all worry and doubt and anything else mucky that comes up. I will daily, hourly, however many times I need to. I will remain in this moment only. In this moment, there exists unlimited potential. Today, like every single day of my son's 2 and 1/2 year life, is a beautiful day. Today, is now, it's all there is and ever was; and it's perfect.




10 comments:

  1. You are amazing. We love you and are with you daily in thoughts and prayers. xxoo Bob and Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison-you, Dan and Evan are so blessed to have each other. We will pray as hard and as long as we can for you all. You are a great Mom-your family is very proud of you!! I wish your grandparents-especially your Pop was here to see what a great inspiration you are to your son and the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an inspiration Alison! God surely gave Evan the right Mommy!

    Julie Getz

    ReplyDelete
  4. God is able. I have a neice who recently had a heart transplant, it out of the hospital and shows no sign of rejection. Thank God for prayers and God's love and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison,
    I am SO PROUD of you and your amazing strength and attitude !! I truly believe in the power of prayer and will be praying for your sweet little Evan. He is so blessed to have YOU !!!!
    Phyllis Reiss (Julie's Mom)

    ReplyDelete
  6. If a more dedicated, loving and passionate mom exists, I have not met her. Your persistence and strength are nothing short of amazing. I continue to include Evan and your family in my prayers.
    Love, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have never missed the gift of Evan with worry, sadness, fear, despair, or anger. You have always, from the moment you found out you were pregnant, enjoyed the gift of Evan with love, joy, courage, trust, hope, and presence. You have shown us all a new way of living life by living in the gifts of this day, our family, our friends, our God. I thank you for that....a gift from you to me. I pray for you Alison, Dan, and Evan everyday...even when we thought he was Abigail! I can't wait to see how God is going to use this transplant experience to touch even more lives with the gifts of you two. All thoughts of love and hope are in my prayers for you for the upcoming weeks. Love, Mary Godfrey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alison, your son Evan is so precious and your story has touched my heart. What a love you have for your precious son! It is a true witness to a world that has forgotten what love truly is. I will pray everyday for Evan, Mommy and Daddy, asking Jesus to shower His Mercy and healing upon little Evan and to guide all involved in his care. Can't forget Mommy either. Hope you don't mind my asking if you are Catholic and if a priest has blessed little Evan. I think he can even receive the Sacrament of the Sick. I am a little worried about the QiGong Master as being "New Age" Medicine. Maybe you want to check into that. Women of Grace and Susan Brinkmann have a lot of information about New Age Religions on their websites. Right now, you have enough on your mind and heart, so prayers and thoughts are with you. Jesus we trust in You.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ever since I heard about Evan, I've been overcome with emotions. I don't know any of you but feel connected spiritually. Your family has the strength and courage that many can only dream of. I pray for you all daily to keep the strength and courage to finish the fight you deserve to win! I have faith and have positive thoughts for Evan, your family, friends, and team of doctors to provide the care and support needed. Go Evan! You are a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love and prayers for your entire family during this process. and thanks for allowing us to read this blog. and gratitude for inspiring me and hers with your faith, courage, hope and insight. continued prayers for a speedy recovery for both of you.
    judy mchenry finn, vjm class of 91

    ReplyDelete